Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Alright, don't worry even if things end up a bit too heavy; We'll all float on alright

Does anyone else remember that song?
Float on, by Modest Mouse.
I sure do.
It was the summer before grade 10. The summer that promised to be the best one of our lives.
Now if I ever had to make up a soundtrack of my life, that song would definitely represent that entire summer. It was blasting non-stop from my boombox in our campsite on the rodeo grounds.
Lennie, Shannon, Veronica and I hummed it everywhere we went. It was reassurance for ourselves and a promise to eachother; that we'd be best friends forever.
Now whether we were or not isn't what matters. It's the fact that one single pseudo-popular song can embody within itself an entire chapter of ones life. I find it pretty remarkable.
We're talking about classical conditioning in psychology right now. How someone can be conditioned to respond a certain way to a particular stimulus.
Every time I hear that song, I instantaneously recollect Veronica and I eating 500 packets of Blitz(™) until they tore at our stomach linings and forced us to be laid up in a bed hallucinating sheep making out on the tent walls (well, that was my specific symptom... Shannon can vouch for me), ice cream headaches, sneaking out at 3am to the beach with Shannon, sitting on my roof with Lennie deliberating about life's mysteries, swimming in Stephy's pool, living at Tori's for about 2 months, BBQ's at Bev and John's (throwing plums at cars with Danika, Tori and Steve) and parties in the cowboy lounge.

So maybe we didn't all stay best friends forever, but I don't think that matters so much.
The point is, each and every one of us will probably remember something from that summer
that changed us, even if it was in a minute way.
And together or apart, we all did float on alright.













0 comments: